Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back in the saddle again...

...also known as..."I can't find my sports bra" and "My running pants are too long" are not good enough excuses to avoid running. =)

After talking with Holly last week, we both re-committed to training for the Columbus 1/2 marathon in April (www.columbusdistanceclassic.com). I'm especially excited because it's a John Bingham race and I will get an official Penguin medal.

Seriously, Holly and I have committed to running our long Saturday runs together - which we figure will keep us honest and committed to the shorter weekday runs so that we don't embarrass ourselves on Saturdays. For me personally, I'll definitely have to get the weekday runs in because the last time I ran with her (see the PRISMS 5K in August 2007) she was a lot faster than me. I've improved since then, but I'll still need to bring my A game.

With that in mind, and a sunny 40-degree day, I headed out this afternoon. My goal was 2 miles, and to see how things went. I went out too fast, as I usually do when I haven't been running for a while, so I hit the 1-mile mark at 10:45...nice to know I could do it, but too fast for me for an easy training run. I walked for about 100 yards and then ran the rest. I ended up finishing the distance at 23:35 including the walking break...a good time but the run was NOT easy, and tells me exactly how out of shape I am.

My goal for this week is to run at least 2 miles every other day (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) so that I'm ready to start my official training program next week (week starting Sunday 1/20). Hopefully then by the time Holly and I do the first long run together I'll have some endurance built back up so that I can hold my own.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back running. Having a goal is good....
The cold and slushy streets keep me from walking often..........and I should be doing more.....I know....Mom