Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Training Run 7-2-08

I think 3 miles is my limit for morning runs at the gym, at least until I get faster. 6 am seems to be my earliest possible time for getting up, which puts me at the gym between 6:15 and 6:30, which leaves me about an hour (including the run, stretching, and potty break) before I need to head home and jump in the shower in order to get to work on time. The gym opens at 6, but I'm just not there yet.

So, I got up at 6 and was out the door by 6:15 to do my old familiar 4-mile road route, the hilly one that goes from the house to Bechtle Avenue and back. Going out I was really careful to rein in the speed and make it an EASY run, especially since most of the "out" is downhill and I don't want to get injured. I took short walking breaks at each mile, mostly due to traffic lights. Coming back is uphill almost all the way, so I focused on consistent effort, not necessarily consistent pace, and made sure I was running easy on the few flat and downhill stretches.

I definitely notice an improvement in my fitness and endurance, since this route felt much easier than it did the last time I ran it. Total time was 45:58, just a hair under 11 1/2 minutes per mile.

One more gym run this week, and then I'll take my shoes and my watch and run for time up at Mom & Dad's. 5 miles scheduled, I'll figure on 28 minutes out, 28 back. Haven't decided yet whether I'll just run in their neighborhood (it's REALLY hilly) or drive to a park. I may look up their local running store (www.playmakers.com) and see if they have a Saturday morning group I can hook up with.

2 comments:

Linda said...

There is fairly flat trail - some paved - in new park nearby on Delta River Drive just past the park. Mileage trails, but not long, so you could just repeat........

Ashley said...

I found a map of Grand Woods Park...2.26 miles around the outside loop...so if I park in the middle and run it twice and run to/from car, it should be close enough.